Quote of the the week

Make the decision to begin a healthier life style today

Monday, July 12, 2010

Is your self talk hurting or helping you?

It never seems to amaze me how people can talk themselves into a problem, or exacerbate the one they have just by the way they talk to them-self. Most sane people would never just sit around all day and listen to someone berate, criticize, condemn, and belittle them but they easily do it to themselves. Some of the things one might say to them self are:

  • I don't know how I'm going to pass this class.
  • I'm just not good at writing.
  • Everything is just so hard on me.
  • I can not do this.
  • I'm going to fail. 
  • I just can't remember anything. 
  • I'm so stupid. 
  • I think I got into more than I can handle.
“Your Self-Talk is the new blueprint of you, that you are giving to yourself.” -- Shad Helmstetter, Ph.D., Author, and Self Talk Expert

These type of thoughts drain you of physical energy and mental power. But that's not the worst thing negative self talk does. When we make these self defeating comments about our self, it degrades our self image and self-esteem but even worst it signals your brain to stop trying to help you.  All this does is depress or repress your power to succeed.

Empowering language that give you strength and mental power sounds more like this: 
  • I can finish this class problem with a little effort. 
  • Actually I'm going to finish this thing no matter what. 
  • I guess I need to study a little more. 
  • I can do this with a little effort.
  • Now let me think were did I put those keys. 
To begin to change yourself talk start with the answer you give to the single most asked question on the planet; How are you doing? Answer it as you want it to be and over time that's exactly how it will become. The best answer you can give is to say I'm doing:

  • Fantastic
  • Outstanding
  • Wonderful 
  • Great
  • Superb
  • or event your own self empowering answer. 
Try it and watch how your day get better.


If you hear a voice within you saying, ''You are not a painter,'' then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced. 
Vincent Van Gogh 
1853-1890 
Dutch Painter

1 comment:

  1. I really like the sentiment in this article. I used to be extremely negative about myself and self-sabotaging constantly. I've done the things that are suggested in this article and I am much much happier for it. (Of course, paxil doesn't hurt matters now that I'm premenopausal.) It takes a lot of time, patience and effort but it all pays off when you wake up one day and you realize that you went through the entire day before and didn't think about suicide even once. There's no way to describe that feeling unless you've experienced it.

    ReplyDelete

My Favorite Health and Wellness Books