Quote of the the week

Make the decision to begin a healthier life style today

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Can You Lead Someone Where You Have Not Been?

If I have not never experienced happiness, how do I know it when I see/find it?  If I have never been hungry, how can I know that my neighbor is starving?  If I can't add, subtract or multiply, how can I teach you algebra?  While these may be extreme situations, you can extrapolate the meaning behind the saying "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself." to them.  Even if you haven't had an identical experience to someone, unless you have "gone there" on some level - experience through personal, anecdotal or witnessed events - how can you help someone to get where they need to be?  I don't believe that you can lead someone else where you have not been.

In order to help my clients develop psychological, physical and spiritual health, I have to make steps to to be healthy in accordance with my own goals.  If I have never achieved any psychological, physical and spiritual health goals that I have set for myself, I will not be able to offer insight to my clients into how to overcome obstacles that will present themselves while they are pursuing their goals. 

The integral health and wellness professional has an obligation to pursue physical, psychological and spiritual health
 because to practice this form of healing one must live it and provide the example of it when dealing clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorite Health and Wellness Books