Quote of the the week

Make the decision to begin a healthier life style today

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Getting My Mental Workout

Mental exercises, such as travel, neurobics, reading, games and being in stimulating environments, help the brain to adapt and reprogram itself. Mental workouts have been shown to stimulate brain cells into fostering new connections.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7373026.stm  These connections make you smarter through the improvements in your memory.  In addition, mentla workouts have been shown to increase our "cognitive reserve" or our ability to withstand neurological damage from aging.  http://www.everydayhealth.com/longevity/mental-fitness/brain-exercises-for-memory.aspx  This can decrease our likelihood of suffering from Alzheimer's disease or dimentia as we age.

I'm a big believer in exercising my mind. I have been enjoying the various mental workout applications available for my Iphone since this enables me to get in a quick mental workout anytime I have a few free minutes of time or to take a mental stretch between reading or working.  I also get plenty of mental workouts from my reading, neurobic exercises and experiencing the world on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorite Health and Wellness Books